Monday, May 2, 2011

Party in the USA

While watching one of my several guilty pleasures last night, Brothers and Sisters, it was interrupted about 9:45 pm for a "Special Report."  Now I know that when a "special report" comes on that something important might be said (I say might because the other day another t.v. show was interrupted just so President Obama could once again assure U.S. citizens that he was born in the U.S. - not exactly something that was urgent news.), but I was not happy that I would be missing the last 15 minutes of my t.v. show.  I mean, Brody was just about to say something really important to Nora and now I have no clue what he said! 

The "special report" was by George Stephanopolis so I thought that it could be important, because I don't think George Stephanopolis would waste his time on just anything.  As you all know, the report was to announce that Osama Bin Ladin was killed by U.S. Navy Seals. 

To be honest, at first I jumped out of my seat in disbelief because I thought he had said President Obama had been killed.  It was then that I realized Obama and Osama are only different by one letter.  Matt looked at me like I was crazy and then I realized who had actually been killed.  My first feeling was shock followed by uncertainty.  It just seems almost impossible that we would know for sure that one of the people killed in an attack was OBL.  Wouldn't he have lots of men around him protecting him and wouldn't they want to chase off the people who attacked them?  How did our soldiers have the ability to walk around and view the dead?  Actually, I have no clue at all how things work over there, but I guess our soldiers are just that good.  (I have come to know some really good soldiers from the organization Adopt a US Soldier and AnySoldier.com.)  The only thing I'm worried about now is one of OBL men attacking the U.S. in retaliation.  And I wonder if this means soldiers get to come home now?

This morning was the first time I felt somewhat relieved about what had happened (don't really know the right word to express how I felt, because you don't really want to celebrate when someone dies).  On the radio station Candy 95 the morning show was playing lots of songs that were relevant to the occassion.  And like the announcer said, "Some of these songs I've never cared for until now!"  Here's just a few of the songs they were playing (I have no clue who sings each song)...

Team America (some hard rock song with lots of bleeps)
Hey Man Nice Shot (something my brother would probably listen to, kind of goth sounding)
Highway to Hell by ACDC
Baby Bye, Bye, Bye by The Backstreet Boys
Brought to You Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue by Toby Keith
I'm Not Saying I'm Sorry
I'm Gonna Give You Hell
Party in the USA

Although I don't really like some of those songs, they did give me a sense of patriotism.  I'm glad we don't have to worry about OBL, but don't let your guard down to low.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what's on your mind!