Friday, March 25, 2011

Matt's Wisdom

The other day as Matt and I were driving down the road, we passed a house with a newly built fence.  It wasn't your ordinary fence.  The fence began with a section of chain linked fence.  Then it continued into a board fence, but the board were nailed in a crooked pattern.  It ended with an old wire fence. 

After we passed this particular fence Matt said, "I like their fence."

I looked at him and wondered, Did he see the same fence I just saw?

So I questioned him, "Are you serious or are you just kidding?"

His reply was, "No, I'm serious.  They made use of what they already have."

Wow!  My husband amazes me sometimes.  It really put things into perspective.  There are times I make use of what I have.  For example, for Brazos' birthday party I used an old chest that was in the attic for a treasure chest.  I reused a dock that was built for our church's Sunday school.  I borrowed tables and chairs from others so that we would have enough seating.  I used old classroom posters for decorations.  But...I also bought new decorations.  More often than not, I want something new.

Matt's comment made me think:
Every day new stuff is being made.
Every day new stuff is being sold in stores.
What happens to all the old stuff?
Where is all the old stuff?
How come our houses aren't full of stuff everywhere?
How can we keep creating new stuff when we still have all the old stuff?

It just boggles my mind!

I just need to remember Matt's wisdom.  God has blessed me with more than I could ever imagine.  I need to be thankful for what I have and use the resources I've been provided with.  God is great!

(I'm ashamed to say that as I'm writing this I'm thinking about when I will make it to Wal-Mart to buy those cute plastic plates I saw the other day.)

1 comment:

  1. He is very wise! I would have thought the same thing as you!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what's on your mind!